Know the signs
When a stroke occurs, two million brain cells are lost every minute. If expert medical treatment begins quickly, brain cells can be saved and the chances of recovery are greatly increased. Every 45 seconds, someone in America has a stroke. That's why it's so important to learn the signs and symptoms of stroke, and to learn to act F.A.S.T. to identify symptoms of a stroke.
In an emergency, call 911. By going to the nearest Primary Stroke Center – any of the Presence hospitals – you are immediately connected upon arrival to a neuroendovascular specialist (through our 24/7 coverage by these specialists and their ability to see the patient within minutes).
Are you at risk for stroke?
Learn more by taking our Online Stroke Risk quiz now.
Recognize the symptoms of stroke
- Face – uneven smile, facial droop/numbness, vision disturbances
- Arm & leg – weakness, numbness, difficulty walking
- Speech – slurred, inappropriate words, mute
- Time – time is critical
Do not ignore these warning signs, even if they go away. Timing is very important. An emergency medical doctor must treat you within three hours of the onset of symptoms.
Redefining Stroke Treatment
When treating strokes, rapid diagnosis and precise treatment are required to save precious brain tissue and minimize lasting disability. Presence Neuroscience Institute has the talent, technology, rapid transfer capability and experience to provide the highest level of care.
A stroke or brain attack is the interruption of blood flow to any part of the brain. Without blood circulation and the oxygen it provides, brain cells begin to die and damage becomes worse with each passing second.
Ischemic strokes happen when a blood clot blocks a blood vessel that supplies the brain. Hemorrhagic strokes happen when the wall of a blood vessel in the brain becomes weak, bursts open and allows blood to leak into the brain. Both types of strokes can result in severe disability if not treated immediately.
By using the latest advancements, the Presence team of stroke experts can actually extend the window of time for successful treatment.
We treat all types of strokes at all levels of severity from diagnosis through rehabilitation and return home.
We help stroke patients return to normal life through a thorough and supportive stroke rehabilitation program in hospital units, accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation (CARF), in our neuro day rehab program, skilled nursing facilities, outpatient therapy and home health care.
The specialists at Presence Neuroscience Institute perform complex, minimally invasive procedures to diagnose in our Neurointervential Suite to treat a full array of brain disorders - including strokes in progress.
High quality 3-D images assist our doctors in precise diagnosis. The new Innova 3131IQ, located at Presence Resurrection Medical Center, provides a minimally invasive alternative to traditional methods to find, treat and prevent strokes, aneurysms, blocked arteries and tumors.
This advanced technology can actually reverse the effects of a stroke as it is occurring - or at least minimize the devastating effects. Depending on the type of stroke and the time frame in which the patient arrives, the window of rescue is increased from 3 hours up to 8 hours following the onset of stroke symptoms.
Patients also benefit from smaller incisions, less scarring, shorter hospital stays and reduced recovery time.
Rapid Transfer to our hub hospitals allows our experts to begin treatment as soon as possible to minimize deaths and damage from stroke, aneurysms and other critical conditions.
The process begins with a physician’s call to our 24/7 Transfer Hotline or arrival at one of our Presence hospitals.
Trust Your Care to a Primary Stroke Center
Not only is Presence Health stroke certified by the Joint Commission, but we have an industry-changing telemedicine program that virtually links each of our 11 hospitals. That way, you get the expertise of just the right specialist, just when you need them most, without having to make a time consuming transfer. Another amazing benefit to seeking treatment at Presence is that our skilled physicians are now practicing a procedure that can actually reverse the damaging effects of a stroke.
Our team of experts is ready to rapidly diagnose, treat, and in some cases, stop a stroke in progress - particularly when patients arrive at the Emergency Department soon after symptoms begin. Specialists in emergency medicine, neurology and radiology work together to make the best treatment decisions for each patient. This may include clot-busting drugs or neurointerventional procedures.
The following Presence Health Hospitals use stroke care protocols developed by the renowned Presence Neuroscience Institute team that have been proven as efficient and high quality.
- Presence Covenant Medical Center – Urbana, IL
- Presence Holy Family Medical Center – Des Plaiens, IL
- Presence Mercy Medical Center – Aurora, IL
- Presence Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center – Chicago, IL
- Presence Resurrection Medical Center – Chicago, IL (Presence Neuroscience Institute hub)
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital – Chicago, IL
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital – Elgin, IL
- Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center – Joliet, IL (Presence Neuroscience Institute hub)
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Saint Elizabeth Campus – Chicago, IL
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Saint Mary Campus – Chicago, IL
- Presence St. Mary’s Hospital – Kankakee, IL
- Presence United Samaritans Medical Center – Danville, IL
Primary Stroke Centers have been proven time and time again to achieve outstanding patient outcomes, yet only a fraction of the nation's acute care hospitals are certified. Read how an east coast patient's decision to receive care at a primary stroke center helped save her life.
Stroke Care Physician Specialists
There is a wide range of physician specialists involved in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the nervous system. Presence Neuroscience Institute physicians can be found in the Find a Doctor section or call 877.737.INFO (4636).
- Neurologists - Diagnose and treat conditions of the nervous system, including ischemic stroke (due to lack of blood and oxygen to brain) and hemorrhagic stroke (result of blood vessels bursting inside brain).
- Neurosurgeons - Specialists who perform surgery on every part of the nervous system - brain, spinal cord and the nerves leading to and from the brain.
- Neurointerventionists - Specialists who use non-surgical, catheter-based approaches to treat blood vessel diseases or malformations that affect the nervous system.
- Neuroradiologists - Use imaging - X-rays, CT scans, MRIs - to help diagnose diseases and disorders of the nervous system.
From hospital-based inpatient rehabilitation to outpatient therapy, from home care programs and nursing and rehabilitation centers to preventive screenings, Presence Health has provides comprehensive rehabilitation services to speed recovery from stroke. Take charge of your recovery. Find a recovery location by you.
For more information about acute stroke care services, contact 877-737.INFO (4636).